Hexavalent Chromium CrVI is a toxic form of the element chromium. Hexavalent chromium is rarely found in nature and is generally man-made. CrVI is used in a wide variety of industrial activities, including welding, manufacture of stainless steel, pigment and painting applications, electro plating, and Anti-Corrosion Coatings. Hexavalent chromium can be formed when performing “hot work” such as welding on stainless steel or melting chromium metal. In the US according to the OSHA there are over 558,000 workers exposed to Hexavalent Chromium each year.
Cutting, grinding, and welding may expose workers to the following toxic heavy metals:
- Calcium Chromate – Corrosion inhibitor, pigments and depolarizer in batteries
- Chromium Trioxide – Chromium plating, aluminum anodizing, chemical conversion coatings, corrosion inhibitors
- Cobalt Chromium Alloys – Jet Engine Turbine discs and blades, and nozzle vanes
- Aluminum, Titanium and Copper alloys – Controls microstructure
- Stainless Steel Parts – Contain between 12% to 36% Chromium
- Barium Chromate – Ceramics, metal primers and ignition control devices
- Zinc Chromates – Used as pigment in paints & coatings. Used as corrosion-resisting primers and metal conditioner
- Cadmium Chloride– Used in electroplating
- Chromium Cyanide – Used to inhibit corrosion
- Cadmium Hydroxide – Found in NiCad batteries
- Cadmium Oxide – Used in Chrome Plating Baths, Ceramic Glazes, Electrodes, and Pigmentations
- Cadmium Iodine – Used in electroplating
- Cadmium Sulfate – Used in electronic circuits
- Cadmium Fluoride – Used in production of metallic alloys such as bearings
The technology in Hygenall HexOff was developed, tested, and patented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ( patent number: 7,604,997 B2) specifically for removing CAD ++ metals like Hexavalent Chromium.
The CDC is the premier health and safety watchdog in the United States, and throughout most of the world. Additionally, testing has shown Hygenall® HexOff™ to be over 99% effective, even in the microgram range!